The 5-star property of Riu Palace Kukulkan is an all-inclusive, adults-only resort located on a beautiful stretch of beach in the Hotel Zone of Cancun. It is within walking distance of the main shopping center, restaurants, and local attractions of the area.
The rooms are bright, spacious, and very clean with views of the Caribbean Sea. The neutral and soothing color palette is dominated by earth tones accented with marine blue. Enormous green columns preside over the lobby and contrast with the comfortable curved white sofas that add distinction in combination with the spectacular lighting fixtures, says the company.
Seven restaurants offer an array of culinary options. There’s the main Don Julio, a great buffet with a terrace; the Japanese restaurant Sunakku; The Krystal for fusion food; the Mexican restaurant La Casa de las Flores; the Italian restaurant Rossini; a poolside steakhouse; and Pepe’s Food, a grill serving barbecue items throughout the day. There are also five bars: the lobby bar Daiquiri, with a mixology specialist and daily signature cocktail; Capuchino for pastries and ice cream, La Latina Lounge; Mamasita pool bar; and the Lounge Bar.
Outside there are four pools, one of which features a swim-up bar, plus direct beach access from the hotel. There’s also a Renova Spa. Riu Palace Kukulkan is well connected to the archaeological areas of the Yucatan as well as the city of Cancun and the airport.
Guests booking Elite Club by RIU rooms have access to separate and personalized check-in and late check-out, a welcome gift, aromatherapy, and a premium beverage dispenser, among other perks. Guests who choose the new Elite Club option will also receive a special welcome with a letter from the hotel manager, a gift with the Elite Club logo and a bottle of wine or cava to celebrate the start of their holiday.
- rooms are spacious and clean
- food is excellent
- staff is friendly and helpful
- great views
- beautiful pools – service at the pool is top notch
- the location allows for easy access to shopping and entertainment
- resort location is convenient but the hotel district of Cancun can be hectic and noisy. Travelers looking for a quieter experience should perhaps consider a resort further from downtown
- although the in-room tub is intended to be a romantic feature for couples, it’ can be problematic for those wishing for some privacy
- smoking is allowed in all outdoor spaces which can be problematic for people that are sensitive to the smell